One of the starting points for our research was the men listed on the three WW1 Memorials in each of the village parish churches together with the Role of Honour at Neatishead Baptist Church. There was also a memorial with a list of the fallen and of men who served and returned to the villages which had been displayed in the Victory Hall, Neatishead. This hall was was built by the Preston family of Beeston St Lawrence in 1887 as a reading room for parishioners to meet and read a selection of daily newspapers. In 1919 the reading room was then purchased from Sir Edward Preston by “public subscription for the social advantage of the Parish in memory of those who fell on active service during The Great War 1914-1918” when it was renamed The Victory Hall. This building is now a private residence and the memorial is now displayed in the Community Room of the New Victory Hall in Neatishead.
All the names on these memorials were researched and now appear on the new Memorial Plaque displayed in the New Victory Hall, together with many other men from the villages whom we discovered also served in the war. The names of those who served, but for whom we have found no evidence of residency in the villages, have been included on the new plaque as we believe they must have had some family connection with the villages. If further information is found at a later date this will be added.